Sunday, December 27, 2009

Been a hell of a year...

It's been too long since I had a blog entry, I've been busy wrapping up my next to last semester at Wilmington University.  Well there are only a few days left on the old calendar for the year.  It's been an interesting year with a lot of ups and downs.  I find it kind of ironic that I was watching “It's a Wonderful Life” on Christmas Eve, and it got to the bank scene where Potter is telling George Bailey, “If you close your doors before 6 P.M., you will never reopen.”

That's just how I feel right now.  Just a small amount of cash in my hand and the clock is at 5:30.

I had a feeling with the way the economy was in general, that anyone who made it though 2009 was going to be okay.  At the beginning of the year, I was working in the shipping department of a technology company.  Unfortunately, the collapse of the financial market took the company's sustainability with it.  By February, the writing was on the wall.  I knew there would be layoffs, but I still thought I was safe for the time being.  To my surprise, I was the odd man out in my department and done by mid May.   I took it as a blessing, in disguise.  My original plans were to stick around until I graduated with my BS in design, everything just got pushed up a year.

I've spent the last half of the year mainly getting my name out into the world and let people know I was around.  Even before I was laid off I joined the local Junior Chamber,  mainly to do some charity work.  This past fall I was elected to the 2010 board as a local director.  I see nothing but more opportunities from this, the networking though them has gotten me hired to shoot a corporate holiday party.  That one job, was worth my membership dues alone.

I spent most of the summer shooting the “Hottest Girls of Delaware” Calendar shows for Paul Pruitt.  It was a lot of fun, a LOT of hard work, sometimes things didn't go right, but I enjoyed myself.  I would of liked to have continued our agreement to his new venture “7 deadly sins”, but we had a difference of agreement on a few lingering details from “hottest girls”.   It happens in this line of work, no big deal.  I wish him luck, and hope things are successful for him anyway.

2010 is already gearing up to be exciting.  Technically I only have one official class at Wilmington.  I trying to lock down a local internship somewhere, but I'm excited about my senior project.  A local writer saw some of my portrait work, and wants me to do all the photography for book.  At one point I have to fly out to California to photograph one of the subjects of the book.  I haven't been on the west coast yet, and it's going to be an adventure.

Locally, I'm still getting my name out there.  I hired a local advertiser last week, and she's been drumming up business for me on her own accord.  She wants me to meet one of her clients next week, maybe something will come of it.  Hopefully I won't have to go back to working a “9 to 5” day job away from photography, but only time will tell.

Hopefully everyone is having a great holiday season, no matter what your celebrating!




Cheers.

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment