Friday, September 11, 2009

Sweating the small stuff...

A few weeks ago I was at a networking event and I met a local custom jeweler who fell in love with my work.  He eventually wants me to shoot his next line of rings.  In fact, it was this photo that sold him on my work...





From now on, I'm bringing my portfolio with me to every networking function.  I'm finding that as much as you can talk yourself up, unless they actually see your work, it means nothing.
So with that said, I figured it was time to get some practice in shooting some small stuff.  I don't get to do this too often, mainly because I've been doing mostly events lately.   In this day in age you need to diversify your skill set as much as you can.  You can't just say I only do this, and that's it.  You can specialize in a few things, but eventually someone's going to ask you for something, and it you can deliver you golden.

A few years ago, my brother in law gave me one of those mini "portable studios" you see in places like ritz or wolf camera.  It's basically a collapse able box with made of translucent material.  It came with a couple hotlights and mini-tripod, which I hardly use.  It has come in handy when I've had assignment for school and need a quick and dirty picture.  Recently I cut a piece of white seamless for a different background.






One thing I haven't really tried yet, is macro photography.  That's when you basically take an extreme closeup of a very small object.  A while ago I bought some macro filters off ebay cheap, which are basically a series of magnifying glasses.  It's not the best way to go about doing it, but it is probably the cheapest.

So I set up my box studio, put the white seamless paper in it and set some flashes up on the sides of it. 
The trick with macro photography I've found is that your very limited in your focusing ability.  I had to set my camera on the tripod and physically move the tripod around to get things in focus.  I grabbed a few small nick-nacks I found around the house and shot away for about an hour.  Here's what I came up with.



macro work - Images by Dominic Hanna

It's not bad for a first try if you ask me. I would of liked to get the while to come out a little more. From what I've seen of people's work, who regularly shoot white seamless, it's mostly comes out in post with photoshop.

Anyway let me know what you think, any if you have any white seamless tips I'd love to hear em.

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment